Saturday, September 14, 2013

further up 11,200 feet, literally!

Hi friends! SO. I've been in Peru for 4 full days, after an eventful 22 hrs of travel time from Virginia I made it. Higher than I've ever been in my life, I've definitely felt the altitude the last few days. Some muscle aches, headaches, but thankfully there's this magic Coca leaf tea that has been helpful (and no i can't bring you any back, its illegal) Mmmm. 

me, robbie, chelsie #roomies
steps to my apartment
Where i live: I'm living for now with this sweet host family, the de la Torres, in an apartment with two of the other volunteers at the school. 

Thankfully one of them, Chelsie, is fluent so she's been super helpful for me to start this brain exhaustion called spanish immersion. I'm 4 blocks from the school and about 15 min from the city center by taxi. 




What i've said: I definitely told my host family that my dad tells me that i eat like an airplane. I meant bird. #lostintranslation

Yair and his madre #muyprecioso
What i do: During the week I'll be at the school from about 9-1 and working with kids who primarily have Cerebral Palsy, Down Syndrome or Autism. I'm with a Peruvian doctor for 2 days of the week, and am helping implement an early intervention morning program for children under 3. The other days seem like they'll be a mix between being a classroom helper and taking kids one on one for individual therapy sessions.





What i've eaten: The food is really good! And if you know me, i eat like a bird remember? This is good news! They eat potatoes and bread and coffee and i really don't think they believe in vegetables! Jk, I've had some corn juice. Corn is a vegetable yeah? 

What i've done: A lot of city exploring, and a few of the Incan ruins around the city. The markets are awesome and not too expensive! Plus it's really cold here at night so I've needed to gear up with all this warm alpaca wear that is the softest thing i've ever felt. Today we went horseback riding through some of the ruins outside the city. A fortress called Sacsayhuaman which was completed in 1508 and is set in the most beautiful mountainous countryside!

The De La Torres kids, Andrea y Luis
#giddyup
It was the scene of a pretty gnarly battle through when the Spanish conquistadors came through and took over. I also got kicked in the leg by one of those horses ironically when I was asking what the spanish translation of "annoying american" is. I've got a bruised tibia, but thank God it wasn't my knee!!

What's dangerous: No drinking the water, its riddled with bugs and salmonella. No flushing toilet paper, also you have to bring your own toilet paper with you because for whatever reason they don't think to stock it. The shower is hooked up to anelectric water heater, so remembering NOT to touch the metal pipes is mucho importante. (Although it doesn't really matter if the heater is on because the water doesn't get above "not freezing") That's right folks, cold showers... happening not that often. Speaking of cold, it gets to 39 deg at night, and the apartment doesn't have heat, so, I call that dangerous too.

What i miss: you guys! feel free to email me or get the app called "whatsapp" for texting!

Cusco, Peru!



I'll write more detailed entries when inspiration strikes, but I'll be here plenty of time for that to happen! Mucho tiempo, prayers appreciated! lovelove







No comments: