Saturday, March 1, 2014

Onward and westward

About a week and a half ago I was sitting in a Super 8 motel, a blizzard with its historic 18 inches of snow piling outside, in Martinsville Virginia. Martinsville: home of a pretty big racetrack (apparently, though I never had the pleasure of attending) Barely a month before that I was in South America, seeing the beauties of a land called Patagonia, feeling like I was in some sort of Narnian Neverland. Only a few weeks prior to that, I was dealing with the seemingly impossible issues of a different culture and life in Peru, loving on children who were so special to our Father in heaven, though so poorly attended to on earth. Why this recap? Because at this moment I’m in a lovely resort, overlooking Oak Creek in Sedona, big beautiful red rocks in the distance, and my heart is so stilled at this sight. Knowing that our God, who loves us to our deepest being, is the same majestic God who put the foundations of this earth in place. I’m struck with how many of these plans the Lord saw in my heart, but have been perfectly laid out by my Father.

{Long ago you laid the foundation of the earth and made the heavens with your hands. Ps 102:25

The Lord of hosts has sworn: “As I have planned, so shall it be, and as I have purposed, so shall it stand. Isaiah 14:24

The heart of man plans his way, but the LORD establishes his steps. Prov 16:9}

When I was in Martinsville, it was a tough situation that I really did want to literally quit. I was working in a facility with questionable practices and less than quality care. No sooner did I decide not to actually quit the job, but instead to quit scheming, quit controlling, or quit trying to even ‘make the right decision’ that the Lord gave me an out only a few days later. My contract was terminated!!! I bet there has never been a happier person to be terminated before ever ever! Even still, had I quit, I would have been required to work a full 2 weeks. Instead, I could set the terms of my departure and 3 days later I was gone. The Lord had provided me a job in California, one that I had turned down only 1 week prior because of my decision to stick it out in Martinsville. The job is with a friend of mine who is the rehab director at a skilled nursing facility and the job a temporary maternity leave coverage as a PT. My heart has loved being west and the Lord knew this, and HE laid the plans to head this way again. Even with my hesitations to drive that long and long and even longer road again on my own, his timing and will was undeniable. So I find myself here, reflecting on all these things and the goodness of my Father who loves me so much, and has laid my steps, and IS trustworthy and good.

{For the LORD God is our sun and our shield. He gives us grace and glory. The LORD will withhold no good thing from those who do what is right. Psalm 84:11

How much more will our Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him.  Matthew 7:11}

A quick word on my Scout:
What a hard and unnatural decision to put an animal to rest. After literally months of trying to find him a home, Scout began to show more deterioration than I was willing to admit. I wanted so desperately to find him a home and someone who could love him like I did, and just let him sleep, and eat, and wander. He wasn’t an affectionate dog, and I warmly called him my wolf since his domestic qualities were limited. Even when I was grieving the decision I had made, he walked somberly away from me. I couldn’t help but laugh at his indifference but also acknowledge his ignorance of what was going on. The Lord touched my heart with how similar his love for me is. Our sometimes coldness to our loving Father does not change His ever present, unconditional love to us. And He has our best interest at heart. I knew that no one would love Scout like I did, and I knew that he was uncomfortable and getting worse. But I will never not miss him, and will always be reminded of my Father’s love for me, through his memory. Oh man, he was such a weird dog, but he was mine.

Thank you all for praying and helping me through all these months and supporting me from home! Richmond will always be home for me, and you all are so dear and so special to me! I pray the Lord would bless and encourage you through His working in this rogue gypsy vessel that I am, and I’m so thankful for each of you. Love you all very much!

{Every good thing given and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shifting shadow. James 1:17

"Of old You founded the earth, And the heavens are the work of Your hands. "Even they will perish, but You endure; And all of them will wear out like a garment; Like clothing You will change them and they will be changed. "But You are the same, And Your years will not come to an end. Ps 102: 25-27}



No comments: